Guide to aged care
We know that the decision in selecting an aged care facility can be a stressful time for family and their loved ones. We aim to make that decision easier.
We hope to have the opportunity to listen to your needs or that of your loved ones, and help you to make informed choices about aged care to suit your individual care needs and circumstances.
STEP 1 – How assessment works?
STEP 2 – What do I need to pay
- The government pays for the bulk of aged care, but you will have to also contribute if you can afford to do so. We suggest that you make a submission to Centrelink to verify your asset and income tests.
- Aged care fees can be confusing given the various charges that can apply: we do recommend that you seek financial advice from a qualified professional adviser.
STEP 3 – What should I look for when choosing an aged care service
- Care: Do the team members listen to your needs respectfully with kindness and compassion?
- Environment for living: Will the facility provide you a home to live in and truly enjoy, with engaging activities, high quality food and social and community involvement?
- Empowerment: Do the team members and facility commit to providing you and your loved ones with the ability to be involved with your care?
- Investment: Does the service commit to investing in their team members to allow them to provide you the best care?
- Community: Does the facility support, and likewise have the support, of the local community?
STEP 4 – How do I apply to live in an Aurrum Care Home
- We hope that one of our care focused Aurrum Homes is in an area you wish to live in.
- Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org, or on 1800 AURRUM (1800 287 786) to arrange a visit to an Aurrum facility and to meet our Aurrum team.
- If there is not an Aurrum facility in the area you wish to live in, please visit myagedcare.gov.au to view other available facilities.